Yes, I, clearly, have a violent streak but it's more than that.
We have lots of reasons why we think killing a person is wrong, in terms of morals. I'm not going to go into all of that. I don't care. I'm sorry if that offends you.
Lethal injection is, more or less, the equivalent of euthanasia which we do, humanely, to our pets to relieve their suffering when they are sick past our abilities to help them. If someone knows that the chemistry of lethal injection is not the equivalent of the chemistry of euthanasia, please educate me.
We are all going to die. Some of us will die peacefully, some of us will not. Some of us will die at the hands of another person whether in war or crime.
I am not OK with executing people for their crimes because I think it's a deterrent; it clearly is not. I'm OK with executing people for their crimes because I think it eliminates them from existence and from inflicting their crime on yet another person. I think there have been and are and will be people so damaged, so sick and so destructive that the planet simply doesn't need them to continue living. I also think the the life of a single person, especially one who inflicts harm on others, is not worth much. I'm an ordinary person; my life is important to me and, maybe, to a few others although I sometimes wonder about that. I don't think my life is worth any amount of pain, terror or destruction I might cause to anyone else. I don't think we have to tolerate the existence of anyone who commits certain crimes against others and society; these crimes include:
- Murder, once
- Rape, once
- Crimes against children
- Torture
- Animal abuse or torture
- War crimes
- Treason
No Man Is An Island
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thy friend's
Or of thine own were:
Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee.
John Donne
No comments:
Post a Comment